Happy Drink Wine Day! 5 Health Benefits of Drinking Wine
Calling all winos! Get your wine glasses out, grab a bottle of your favorite red or white wine, call your friends, and get ready to celebrate National Drink Wine Day! This holiday was created to help spread the word on the health benefits that accompany drinking a glass or two of wine. It is important to note that the health benefits from drinking wine come from having about one glass of wine with a meal. This may vary based on gender, age, and alcohol tolerance but as a general rule of thumb no more than two glasses of wine should be had regularly. Moderation is key here, as drinking too much is actually not healthy for you. To help understand some of the health benefits associated with wine, we have put together a list of the top 5 benefits of drinking wine. Share these at your next wine and cheese night and impress your guests!
- Resveratrol is an antioxidant found in wine due to the fermenting process which uses both the grape seeds and skin. Believe it or not, this antioxidant is known for its anti-aging properties! Its role as an antioxidant means it works to remove any free radicals which can cause early aging and age related conditions. Resveratrol has even been linked to helping reduce age related hearing loss! Also important to note, you cannot find the same levels of resveratrol in grape juice because the same fermenting process with the entire grape is not used to create a juice. Grab your wine glass and enjoy that glass of wine for a more youthful look!
- Researchers at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in LA found that red wine may be helpful in reducing a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer. Red wine grapes can help reduce estrogen levels and raise testosterone levels in women who have not yet gone through menopause. This can help reduce the risk of suffering from breast cancer. Of course, the same can also be said for also eating red grapes – so pair some grapes, cheese, and red wine and cheers to a healthy long life!
- Drinking wine may help make you a happier person according to a study by researchers from Spain. In their report in the journal BMC Medicine, they showed data that followed over 5,000 men and women ages ranging from 55-80 for more than 7 years. The data showed that of the people who drank 2-7 glasses of wine per week, they had a lower risk of suffering from depression. Cheers to a happier life with your favorite red blend!
- White wine may help you lose those stubborn 10lbs. In 2004 researchers from Germany conducted a study that followed patients on a calorie restricted diet who had 10% of their energy from juices replaced with white wine. They found that white wine was just as effective at helping people lose weight as using a fruit juice for energy. Go to the gym and come home to a glass of your favorite chardonnay without feeling guilty!
- Does heart disease run in your family? Wine, when had in moderation may help prevent you from suffering from heart disease due to the antioxidants it contains.
This February 18th, why not plan a get together with your friends so you can all share one glass of wine together. Enjoy good conversation, reap the health benefits from drinking wine, and enjoy the quality time spent together! This may just be the best news you’ve heard in a long time.