Reporting Lost Or Stolen Passports To Guard Against Identity Theft


Identity theft is a major concern today. If you have ever known someone who is a victim, you realize how much effort can be involved in repairing the situation. That is why it is important to prevent identity theft when at all possible. You probably know the basics: “guard your social security number,” “only use secure websites when giving your credit card,” etc. However, there is one document that can make it very easy for an identity thief to strike – your passport. That is why it is so important to report a lost or stolen passport.


You should take two immediate steps when you discover your passport is missing. The first is reporting it as missing (or stolen if that is the case), and then taking steps to replace it. The US Department of State is the organization in charge of issuing passports and dealing with such issues as missing or stolen passports. The phone number you should call is: 1-877-487-2778, or you can fill out and mail in a document DS-64 (Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport). By reporting this situation, you can help protect yourself—and you’ll give the government warning that someone else may have your passport so they can address the situation and help ensure your documents are not being used by someone else to travel outside the country.


After your passport is reported stolen, you will want to seek a replacement. If you are traveling outside the United States in the next two weeks, you will need to rush this process. Make an appointment to apply in person at a Passport Agency or Center (you can find the full list on the US Department of State website. This rush process can normally get your replacement passport to you within eight days or less. If you have more time and are not planning to travel in the immediate future, you can go through the standard passport application process. Even if you do not have a trip in the works, it makes sense to go ahead and replace your passport—it’s better to have things taken care of just in case you have to schedule a last minute trip.

Reporting your passport lost or stolen is not that difficult of a task. If you act quickly and remain proactive, you can often prevent identity theft from occurring. In addition, if you take care of your missing passport and request a replacement right away, you will not be stuck waiting for one to arrive so you can make a planned trip.



  1. My daughters birth certificate has mother’s birth date wrong.
    We are applying for passport and I am afraid we might not get it.
    How fast can I change information on birth certificate. Where do go to expedite service

    1. Hello Bo. Each state has different requirements and timelines for amending/correcting information on a birth certificate. For the most accurate information, we suggest you contact the vital records office in the city/state where your daughter was born. They should be able to tell you what steps you will need to take to correct the document and if any expedited services are available.

  2. Hello I need help fixing my birth certificate my mothers birth date is wrong as well as my father and I do not have my full name on it, I live in north Carolina for almost 17 years and i’ve been trying to fix but since I was not 18 yet they could not let me I live with my mother and not my father and they would require both signatures so that could change I ca not get in touch with him so I waited not that I am 18 years old still live in North Carolina I would still be able to change it. I have been to all the places here in Wilmington North Carolina but since I was not born here I have to go to the place I was born in order to get that fixed what would I need to go over there and fix it, the reason why I want to change it is that I need my passport with my full name as well as my social security and driver license and my college diploma if anyone has any advice or knows what I can do please let me know asap thank you

    1. Hello Yaslin. Sorry to hear about your predicament. We suggest you contact the Vital Records Agency in the city where you were born for more information about how to go about amending/correcting your birth certificate. You should be able to find a contact phone number by doing a web search for Vital Records and the name of the city or county you were born in. We wish you luck in resolving this issue!

  3. My name isn’t on my birth certificate it just has male STEVENS I’m 60 years old and going through hell for the correction of putting my first name on certificate

    1. We’re sorry to hear you are experiencing this frustration. It can be a complicated process to correct/amend a birth certificate.

  4. my daughters last name is misspelled on her birth certificate. But she is born in Hanford Ca and we live 4 hours north and i
    was wondering if i can do it over here so i dont need to travel 4 hours.

    1. Hello Laura. Thanks for reaching out with your question. We suggest you contact the Kings County Public Health Department for more information on how to correct an error on a birth certificate. Click here to visit their website for contact information.

Leave A Comment