lost government issued documents

VitalChek Helps Recover Lost Government Issued Documents

In September 19, 2013

Protect with LexisNexis VitalChek Network Inc.

Knowing the whereabouts of your vital documents at all times is critical. Your family’s vital records such as birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates and divorce records should always be locked away in a safe place where you can obtain them easily. What if you need to access a relative’s death certificate, or your parents’ marriage certificate? Imagine if your birth certificate and other vital documents disappeared due to theft, fire or natural disaster? What would you do? We’ve put together some easy information on how to recover lost government issued documents to give you some peace of mind.

VitalChek is the Solution

Thanks to VitalChek, a government approved vital record ordering service, your lost or missing documents can be recovered quickly and conveniently. VitalChek has direct relationships with State, county and local governments responsible for issuing such documents nationwide. This allows for speedy replacement of all of your vital papers.

Can Records Always Be Replaced Quickly by VitalChek?

Most of the time, records can be ordered and delivered to you within about a week, and in some cases as quickly as 2-3 days with express service. Keep in mind, certain circumstances can exist that may extend this time, including older documentation that may be stored in remote facilities requiring an agent of the proper bureau to perform an arduous physical search. Providing insufficient or incorrect information, or limited staffing resources at the issuing agency, can also slow the process. To help prevent any delays, it is imperative to provide all requested information regarding dates, parental names, and exact location of the birth, death, marriage or divorce. Be sure to provide anything else that may be relevant, such as any requested additional documentation, as required by the issuing agency for identity validation purposes.

What Documents Does VitalChek Help Replace?

VitalChek services can be used to order official vital records across the nation, from local, county, and/or state governments responsible for such documents. With VitalChek, you will be able to order the following types of official, certified documents, with an appropriate seal and valid for most legal purposes:

  • Birth Certificates – Necessary for using as proof of citizenship, losing a birth certificate can delay getting a passport, a marriage license, enlistment into the military or even acceptance to many jobs.
  • Death Certificates – Needed for insurance and estate purposes and settlement of personal affairs. The Social Security Administration requires a copy to close out records, pay a death benefit or transfer payments to the surviving spouse.
  • Marriage Records – This document is especially critical for married women as proof of name change and may be required for Social Security, Immigration, the IRS and the DMV for licensing.
  • Divorce Records – Without a divorce certificate, you may be held responsible for debts incurred by your spouse after your divorce. You may also not remarry without producing this document.

To help ensure that your documents do not wind up in the wrong hands, many of these issuing agencies utilize identity validation systems to assure that you are entitled to receive the certificate requested, and that you are the correct individual making the request. This includes providing additional details about yourself, and possibly submitting identifying documentation (such as a photo ID copy). Be assured that VitalChek and the issuing agencies take your security very seriously, and handle all information provided in the most secure manner possible.

There are many ways that vital documents can be lost today – moving from place to place, being packed up and forgotten about, theft, fire, natural disaster or carelessness by a parent, spouse or sibling are all common causes. How comforting it is to know that you have VitalChek on your side to help recover lost government issued documents quickly, when the need arrives.


  1. I need my birth certified y’all took my money on September 14 2016 $39.00dollars I still haven’t got my stuff.

    1. Hello Angelie. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact us at 1-800-255-2414 or email us at Vitals.Research@vitalchek.com and will be happy to look into this for you. Be sure to include your order number.

  2. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I have called 4 times waiting on hold a total of 1 1/2 hours and never spoke to a representative. I ordered a copy of my birth certificate online. I need it in order to get a passport and you sent the short form, which is totally worthless. I want a total refund including mailing

    1. Hello Cathy. We apologize that you have not been able to reach us by phone regarding your order. In addition to calling us at 800-255-2414, email us at vitals.research@vitalchek.com or send us a private message at Facebook.com/VitalChek. This is the quickest way to reach us – you will usually get a response in a matter of minutes.

  3. I recieved my birth certificate on time but my name isn’t correct.I go by my father’s last name,and they used my mother’s last name ,and my dad isn’t listed on my birth certificate.i called vital check about the issues and they said i needed to go to court and have a judge correct it..I live in California and I would have to go get it done in New Orleans Louisiana.its just a stressful aweful issue vital check is putting me through

    1. Hello Melinda. We are sorry to hear that the information on the certificate you received was incorrect. VitalChek is the order processing service for the vital record agency. We provide the means for customers to enter orders and pay for them electronically. We then submit your order to the appropriate vital record agency so they can pull your record and produce a certified copy of that record. VitalChek does not at any time have physical possession of any vital records. If there is an error on the certificate you received, it must be corrected through the correction/amendment process at the issuing vital record agency.

  4. Hello:

    I ordered a copy of my Birth Certificate las t week and paid for express handling.

    Order # 11XXXXXXX

    Can you please give me the status of this order.

    Thank you
    Elvera Ward


    1. Good morning, Elvera. I have forwarded your request on to one of our customer service specialists. Once they review your order, they will contact you either by the phone number or email address found in your order. If you do not hear from someone by the end of the day, you can always contact us with your order number at Facebook.com/VitalChek. You will usually get a response in a matter of minutes. You can also call 877-513-6364 or email vitals.research@vitalchek.com.

Leave A Comment