gender change on a passport

Transgender Passport – Changing Gender Markers

In light of current legislation and new laws being passed, the opportunities for transgender individuals to take steps in changing their gender markers on birth certificates and other forms of identity are beginning to present themselves. While not every state is yet onboard with allowing gender marker changes on birth certificates, making a gender change on a passport is a fairly uncomplicated process. Below we have information regarding transgender passport changes along with information about states that do allow, or are currently undergoing legislation to allow gender marker changes on birth certificates.

Transgender Passport Changes & Passport Gender Markers

If you or someone you know is currently transitioning, you are all too aware of the lengthy process involved with the legal side of this big change. While the list of states that allow for gender marker changes on birth certificates is a small one, several states have already started the legislation necessary to allow these marker changes as well. You may be relieved to know however, that it is not necessary for the sex marker on your birth certificate or current ID to be updated in order to update your passport. 

In order to begin the process, you’ll need to download and complete form DS-11 and you will need to have a photo ID that resembles your current appearance. Your current stage of transitioning will determine whether you’re granted a 10-year passport, or a temporary 2-year passport. Those individuals who are currently undergoing clinical treatments and have not fully transitioned will be granted a 2-year passport, and will need to renew again once the transition is complete. 

transgender passport
Changing gender markers on a transgender passport is an important next step for individuals transitioning. As long as you’re taking professional medical steps and have your medical certification, the process is fairly simple.

Changing Markers – What are the Requirements?

You will need an original medical certification from your physician stating that you are or have undergone the appropriate clinical treatment to transition as well as a current government-issued photo ID that resembles your current appearance. You’ll still need to submit a certified copy of your birth certificate as well. Many states do not allow gender marker changes on birth certificates, so it is not necessary for your gender to be updated when applying. 

It is also important to note that regardless of your current step in the transitioning process, or if you have a court order declaring your gender or sex change, you will still need to submit a medical certification. The reason for this requirement is that laws regarding gender marker changes vary from state to state. You are not required to have undergone surgery to amend your gender marker on a passport. 

It is also important to note that a transgender passport is not only available to adults but also to minors with their guardian’s consent if they are under the age of 16. The same steps will need to be taken in both situations. Be sure to have passport photos on hand that resemble you or your child’s current appearance in order to apply. If you are given the 2-year passport because you are still undergoing a transition, you will need to get an updated and current photo when applying for your 10-year passport. 

If you have gone through the process of legally changing your name, you will need to make sure your current ID reflects your updated name if it is a year or more past the time you were given a legal name change. 

You will still need to submit a certified copy of you or your child’s birth certificate if you plan to change a gender marker on a passport, so if you don’t have an official copy on hand, you can order one online through Good luck in this next step of your transition!

Leave A Comment