How to Get a New Replacement Social Security Card

It is easy to put our belongings down and forget to pick them back up, especially when we are busy. This is how we do things like lose our car keys, misplace our cell phone, or leave our wallet at the grocery store. Normally, we get our belongings back even if we have misplaced them in public, but what happens when we misplace an item that can’t be replaced and it ends up permanently lost? This is a common question for people who lose their social security cards. While some people keep this item in a lock box or at home, some carry it with them in their purse or wallet. Losing a social security card is never good and you should always quickly apply for a new one. Follow these directions on how to get a new replacement social security card.

  1. Find the nearest social security office to you by looking here.
  2. Print out the downloadable application for a social security card and fill it out. You should only write in blue or black ink. Be sure to sign the application otherwise it will be denied.
  3. Gather important vital records. You will be required to show proof of citizenship, identity and age. You can use a U.S. birth certificate or passport for proof of citizenship and age. You can use a U.S. driver’s license, passport, or state issued ID card as proof of identity. You must have at least TWO of these items, as you can only use one document for two purposes. You may also be able to use an employee ID card, school ID card, health insurance card, or a U.S. military ID card as proof of identity as well.
  4. Mail or take your application and documents to the social security office nearest you.
  5. It will generally take around 10 days to receive your social security card.

Having your social security card is important for many different reasons. You will need your social security number to gain employment, do your taxes, or collect social security payments. Replacing your card is free so there is no reason why you should put this important errand off any longer! If you need help obtaining proof of citizenship or age, visit the VitalChek online birth certificate order platform.


  1. Where can I go request a new Social Security card , and birth certiciate quickly? FOr my Self, and HOw do I go about getting a Death certificate I never recieved for my Uncle and I am power of Attonrney,?

    Please advise

    1. Hello and thank you for your questions.
      To obtain a Social Security card you can go to any social security office. There is typically no charge for a new card. You’ll want to look up the required documents so that you can bring them with you.
      As for ordering birth certificates, If you are able to go in person to the vital records office in the state or city you were born in that is the fastest way to obtain your birth certificate. Going in person usually means you can get the certificate the same day. If you no longer live in or near the state/city you were born in the fastest way to obtain would be through the VitalChek online expedited service at We are the leading service provider for the state vital records offices. This would also be the fastest way to obtain your uncles death certificate as long as the state he passed away in considers you an “entitle person”. You can call our offices directly (1-800-255-2414) to see the requirements for the states you need to order from or you can go to our website at
      Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you.
      Thank you,
      Nichole H.

  2. Is same day processing available? I have a job interview tomorrow that requires 3 forms of ID, a SS card being one of them. I’m able to visit my local office early in the morning but I’m not sure if they can process it within 1-2 hours.

    1. Thank you for your question. Unfortunately we do not have the answer to that – you would need to ask the Social Security Administration office whether they can provide that to you the same day. Thank you.

  3. When I present my documents will be able to keep them once they are verified? Or will they be mailed back to me with the ssn card?

    1. Hello and thank you for your question.

      Usually the social security office gives your documents back to you before you leave. You should leave their office with a paper showing that your replacement social security card has been applied for along with all of your identity documents. Your actually social security card will then be mailed to the verified address.

      Thank you,
      Nichole H.

  4. Can I go to a social security office and pick up a replacement SS card for my husband. He can not go. I have all the needed documents

    1. Hello Susan. We recommend that you contact the Social Security office in your area to determine if they have provisions for you to pick up the social security card for your husband. If not, your husband may be able to order a replacement card online at the social security administration website.

  5. I lost my ss card and I live near an ssi office I have my birth certicate n I.ds could I be able to get atleasta copy of my social the same day that I go because I have a job interview this week coming up and I need prove of ss#

    1. Hello Jaime. Thank you for your question. Here is a link that explains what documentation you will need when you go the Social Security office. Also, here is a link to the application for a new and/or replacement social security card so you can fill it out in advance of your visit to the Social Security office: According to the SS website, it can take up to 10 business days to receive your SS card after you submit your application and proper documentation. You will need to ask them is they offer any form of expedited service.

  6. Hi good day need some assistance am trying to report my lost social security card am not from the USA I work there on a work program I miss place it before I came bk home I need to replace it to do my tax return and other business thanks look foward on getting a reply

    1. Hello Conroy. Sorry to hear about your lost social security card. You can find more information about replacing your social security card by going to the Social Security Administration’s website at: Good luck!

  7. Do you think the SS office will accept a picture ID from a correctional facility I was incarcerated in as a form of identification? Along with my birth certificate?

    1. Hello Mack. Thanks for your question. According the Social Security Administration’s website a photo ID must be current, have a recent photo and contain your age or birthdate. We recommend you contact your local social security office or visit their website at for more information.

  8. How can I get a SS card if I don’t have a state I.D.? I tried to get one but I have to have the social security card to get a new one and cannot show a w2 form since I have been ill and couldn’t work for 2 years? How does one go about getting a card if you don’t have a proper ID card? I’ve tried everything but without the Social Security card I cannot get my ID.

    1. Hello Della. Thanks for reaching out with your question. According to, they can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:
      •U.S. driver’s license;
      •State-issued non-driver identification card; or
      •U.S. passport.

      If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents. Any documents submitted, including the following, must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph:
      •Employee identification card;
      •School identification card;
      •Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
      •U.S. military identification card.

      If none of these alternate forms of identification are feasible, we recommend you contact the Social Security Administration for further guidance.

  9. Hello,

    I think I’ve misplaced my child’s SS card! What documents do I need to submit to receive a
    replacement card for her? She’s under 18 and I don’t know her SSN, unfortunately. Also, is there anything else I need to do in case someone has it in their hands?


    1. Hello Carol. Thanks for reaching out to us. We suggest you contact the Social Security Office in your area for more information on the steps you need to take to replace your daughter’s missing social security card. They should also be able to offer guidance on what security steps might be necessary to safeguard your daughter’s identity.

    2. Can I use the print out of my id they gave me at the BMV to obtain my social security card until the original come

      1. Hello Jerome. Thanks for reaching out with your question. More than likely the SS office will require a copy of the actual driver’s license rather than the temporary printout. We suggest you contact them for clarification.

  10. How do I go about getting a replacement ss card when my purse was stolen and it had my wallet in it with my id I do have a birth certificate with my name on it and I have my w2 form with my ss number on it but I can’t get a state id without my sscard

    1. Hello April. Thanks for your question. We’re sorry to hear that you purse got stolen. For more information on how to get a replacement social security card, click here.

  11. I started with my application for my son’s replacement for original birth certificate however I found his original one can I still cancel my application since it’s not yet completed?

    1. Hello Vilma. If you ordered through VitalChek, please contact us at so we may assist you.

  12. I need to cancel my order please

    1. Hello Casandra. If you are referring to an order you placed through, please email your order number to and someone from our customer service team will be happy to assist you.

  13. Hello i have my card but i notice theirs a s instead of a c will that mess me up at work ive been working at different jobs n no problem but my new empler wants to know. Please get back to me thank u.

    Im sorry im talking about my name

    1. Hello Francisco. Thanks for reaching out with your question. Although the discrepancy in your name hasn’t caused problems thus far, it has the potential to do so. We suggest you contact the Social Security Administration about correcting the error. You can find out more information about the process by clicking here to visit their website

  14. Hello and thank you for such an informative site. My name is Adam Minton and I have a daughter born in Peru with my Peruvian wife. As an American born citizen, I have received my daughters birth certificate with the recognition of being an American citizen that was born abroad. My question is, do I need to obtain her social security card BEFORE I can obtain her American passports? Also, do I need to obtain her social security card in the United States ONLY or can I obtain the card here in Peru? Thank you a billion! Sincerely, Adam

    1. Hello Adam. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. We suggest you contact the U.S. embassy or the U.S. State Department for more information about the best order to obtain her passport, social security card, etc.

  15. Im just curious my purse was stolen and im trying to get my SS card back, but in order to do that you need and ID i only have a birth certificate now heres the problem in order to get an ID you need to forms of ID and birth certificate and a SS card but in order to get a SS card you need 2 forms of ID so what am i supposed to do here

    1. Hello Misty. We are sorry to hear about your situation. It might be possible to use alternative forms of identification such as a health insurance card or employee ID to get your social security card relpace. For more information, you can visit the Social Security Administration website by clicking here. You may also want to check with the DMV to see if you can present alternate forms of ID to get your driver’s license or ID card.

  16. I still haven’t received my replacement card and it’s been almost 2mos! I sent my original birth certificate and all! NOTHING has been returned either. Where can I get a status? I need the card asap

    1. Hello Cheryl. Sorry to hear that you haven’t received your replacement SS card yet. You may want to contact the Social Security Administration location to which you sent your documents to see if they can provide an update. You may also contact your local SS office to see if they can provide more information about your order.

  17. I have also received my daughters birth certificate with the recognition of being an American citizen that was born abroad. Please help.

    1. Hello Emma. Please clarify what you need assistance with. Thanks.

  18. My husband needs a replacement SS card and can not go into the office due to his work hours. He tried to do it online but it didn’t allow him. As his wife, will I be allowed to go into the SS office and get a card for him? And if so, what documents would I need to provide?

    1. Hello Courtnie. More than likely, your husband will need to go to the Social Security Office himself to request a replacement card. We suggest you call the office nearest you for more details.

  19. Hello

    I am from England I have a green card but it is expired. I need to get a replacement SS card will I be able to get one with an expired green card? My drivers license is up to date I am 30 I have lived in the United States since I was two years old. I’m trying to move in to a new house and they need a copy of my social security card but it got stolen with my wallet and purse last year. Thank

    1. Hello Kirsty. We are sorry to hear about your predicament. We suggest you contact the nearest SS office for more information on how to apply for a replacement card and what documentation they will accept for identity verification. You can also visit the SS Admins’ website by clicking here.

  20. I’m trying to find out about a card I ordered from y’all about a month ago Social Security card. My name is neal DELHOMME

    1. Mr. DelHomme. You will need to contact the Social Security Administration for more information about the SS card you ordered. Please click here to visit their website.

  21. Hello. My name is Daniyar. My son is US citizen. We are living in Kazakhstan at the moment. We lost his SSN card and forgot his SSN number.
    Is it possible if I will send all the original documents ( an application, his original passport, birth certificate) to my friend who is living in OK state to go to social security office and apply it by himself? Does my friend need
    letter of attorney from me?

    Thank you

    1. Hello Daniyar. Thanks for reaching out with your question. You may want to contact the U.S. Embassy for more information on how to go about obtaining a new ss card for your son. Please click here to visit their website for contact information.

  22. I am a California resident. I did not receive
    New replacement. Social security card yet
    I updated new address change when moved in
    In July. What shall I do? Thanks

    1. Hello Stanley. We suggest you contact the Social Security Administration to inquire about the status of your replacement card order.

  23. Can I print my ID and birth certificate so I do t have to send it,by mail with my SS5 form?

    1. Hello Kim. More than likely the SSA will require a certified copy of your birth certificate. We suggest you contact the them to determine if they will accept a photocopy of your ID.

  24. When applying for a replacement ss card and sending in an original birth certificate, does it get mailed back?

    1. Hello Diane. We assume they get sent back (they do when you apply for a passport.) but aren’t 100% certain. You may try contacting the SS office for confirmation. You may also consider ordering a certified copy of your birth certificate so that you still have one on hand in case they do not return it. You can obtain a certified, copy of your birth certificate (which would be valid for most legal purposes, including obtaining a US Passport or social security card) either directly through the vital records agency in the state where you were born, or online through the VitalChek website.

  25. I went to social security office for a citizenship change and name change. They kept my current ssc and wrote void on it. Were they supposed to give it back?

    1. Hello Cristy. Since you are applying for a new card because of a name change, SS may have kept the old one to destroy it as you will not be needing it anymore. You may want to call the SS office to confirm this.

  26. Is my childs birth certificate and my ID enough to get a copy of their social security card?

    1. Hello Ashley. Thanks fore reaching out with your question. Please click here to review the Social Security Administrations guidelines for obtaining a SS card for your child. Pages 3 & 4 contain information regarding what type of documentation you will need to rpovide for identity verification purposes.

  27. .I mailed my passport to SSA in order to get a new social security card . I got the new social security card about a week ago, but my passport still hasn’t been returned. How long does it usually take to get it back and what do i do now?

    1. Hello Lillian. You may want to contact the SS office to determine a time frame for the return of your passport. It is common practice for them to mail documents separately for security purposes.

  28. Can I use my passport to get my social security card

    1. Hello Teresa. Thanks for reaching out with your question. Please click here to visit the Social Security Administration’s website for more information regarding their requirements for getting a social security card.

Leave A Comment