Documents Needed for Personal Identity Verification

You may have heard about personal identity verification cards or PIV cards. These are personal data smart cards given out by the United States government to employees and contractors who will need permissions to access to federal facilities to do their job. These cards are relatively new and have been in use since 2005. Prior to using personal identity verification cards, there was not a standardized ID badge for anyone who needed access to federal buildings. This was an obvious security issue and the creation of PIV cards was the solution. They provided a centralized way to verify an employee’s personal data and identity throughout all federal facilities with almost no room for error. If you need to go through the process of obtaining your PIV card, here are the steps you will take to complete the registration.

PIV Process Overview

  1. Badge Request – an applicant must first request a badge with the help of a sponsor
  2. Identity verification and enrollment – You will need to prove your identity through proper documentation and must have your photo taken as well as your finger prints taken at the registrar. This data will then be put into the PIV system.
  3. Background Check – Next there will be a background check to verify all information and to be sure you are eligible for a PIV card.
  4. Get The Badge – once your identity has been verified and you have passed your background check, your personal PIV card will be issued.

Documents Needed for Personal Identity Verification

During step 2 of the process, you will be required to prove your identity. These documents will vary depending on whether or not you have your original name or if you have changed your name. However, for anyone with no name change you will be required to provide TWO documents in their original form proving your identity.

You must provide at least ONE original document(s) from this list:

    • U.S. Passport
    • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Unexpired Foreign Passport with either an I-551 stamp OR I-94 form attached
    • Permanent Resident Card OR Alien Registration Card with Photograph
    • Current Temporary Resident Card

You can provide ONE original document from this list as your second form of proof:

    • U.S. Social Security Card
    • Certificate of Birth Abroad
    • ID Card Issued by Federal, State, or Local Government(must contain photograph)
    • Voters registration Card
    • Reentry Permit
    • U.S Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
    • Refugee Travel Document
    • Employment Authorization Document from DHS
    • Native American Tribal Document

If you have changed your name and it no longer matches the name on any of these original documents, you must also provide an original document proving the legal name change. One example of an acceptable form of legal name change document is a marriage certificate or license.

If you need help obtaining any of your vital records to show proof of your identity, contact VitalChek. As a leading provider of vital records, we understand what you need and offer a fast online ordering process with safe and secure shipping.


  1. I need a replacement card so I can get my state I’D so I can get a job jus move to Chicago to oh need it I am homeless please

    1. Hello Robbie. Thanks for reaching out. It is not entirely clear what you need assistance with. If you are looking to get a replacement PIV card, you will most likely need to contact the U.S. Department of State for more information. If you need to order a certified copy of your birth certificate for proof of identity purposes, you may be able to order one through us at If you have any questions regarding the birth certificate ordering process, you can email us at

    2. Robbie, I hope you have your ID by now, If you or anyone else needs help obtaining a birth certificate please visit for assistance. They are a grant-funded non-profit that will help. and they often use VitalChek.

  2. Will a school picture i.d. work with identification to get my birth certificate because I can’t get it without an i.d. and I can’t get an i.d. without a birth certificate but I have my social security card will that help?

    1. Hello Junasia. Thanks for reaching out with your question. Each state has their own guidelines for verifying identity in order to obtain a vital record. Therefore, we suggest you contact the Vital Records Agency that issued your certificate originally for more information on what forms of identity are acceptable.

  3. I wonder what Florida will say…

  4. I need the link to print out the identity verification form because I can’t find it myself while managing my order

    1. Hello Magdaleno. Please go to, enter your order number and pin number and then click the “Manage My Order” tab. Once there, you should find a link to download the form. If you need further assistance, you can call us at 800-255-2414, email us at or send us a private message at

  5. I need an authorization form
    Your link does not allow me to get it

    1. We are sorry that you are unable to download the form you need. Please contact us with your order number so we can assist you. The quickest way to reach us is via private message at You can also reach us by phone at 800-255-2414 or by email at

  6. I have ordered my daughters Birth Certificate (a copy) and sent in all the paper work that was printed out.
    Picture of my I.D. front and back Notarized. Now I am told I am missing a full “Authorization Form” to complete this transaction
    , but the one I found says, Texas and I am in Arizona?

    1. Hello Joseph. Please contact us for assistance. The quickest way to reach us is by private message at You can also call us at 800-255-2414 or email us at

  7. I have applied for a birth certficate and I must provide identification documents.
    My greek passport has expired, is Greek national ID acceptable?
    If not, I could provide documents from List B( Utility bill and telephone bill), but should they be translated in English?

    1. Hello Vasiliki. Thanks for reaching out with your question. The documents from list B would more than likely need to be translated to English and notarized at the U.S. Embassy. Please contact us for more informationi. The quickest way to reach us is by private message at

Leave A Comment