Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program

Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program

The safety of our children has become even more important recently than it has ever been. Parents must be on high alert more than ever, especially when it comes to traveling with your kids. Have you ever heard of the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program, or the CPIAP? We’d like to share the details of this program with you below, and why it’s so important for your family. If you need to take a step back and are looking for more information on how to obtain a child passport, head on over to our other blog here!

What is the CPIAP?

The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program is a program that allows a specific office at the Department of State to contact parents and/or legal guardians to ensure that specific requirements for parental consent have been met when applying for a child’s passport. Why is this so important? This program was originally put into place to prevent international child abductions by alerting parents when a passport application has been submitted for a child within the program.

You can find more detailed information about this program at Travel.State.Gov and the U.S. Passport Service Guide.

Enrolling in the Program

Enrolling your child into the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program is fairly simple! There are three things you will to submit to the Department of State’s Passport Services to enroll:

  • A completed registration form, which you can find here.
  • Proof of your identity (A driver’s license will do!)
  • A birth certificate or other documentation to prove you’re a legal parent and/or guardian of the child

My Child Already Has a Passport

No problem! You can still enroll your child into the CPIAP, as the Department of State will still notify you even if a passport renewal has been requested vs. a brand-new application.

Children with Non-US Passports

This scenario can be a little bit trickier vs. a child with a US passport. Unfortunately, when it comes to parental abductions, it’s common for internationally abducted children in the US to have dual nationality. The US Department of State will not be able to prevent another country from issuing your child a passport, however, there are still steps you can take to be protected. You can send the appropriate embassy or consulate a written request, along with any other relevant documentation, to prevent a passport from being issued to your child.

What Else Can I Do?

Beyond the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program, there are other steps you can take to protect your child. We’ve included a few helpful links for you below:

We sincerely hope this was helpful in arming you with the information you need to protect your family. Our team at VitalChek is here to help you with any vital record needs during this process. Contact us today if you need assistance!

Leave A Comment