what to do if birth certificate has no name

My Birth Certificate Has No Name, What do I do?

In January 15, 2018

It may sound surprising that after the birth of a new family member, some parents leave the hospital with their newborns unnamed. There are several reasons an infant’s name may be missing from a birth certificate: the parents haven’t been able to decide on the perfect name;some religions practice ceremony and traditions that revolve around naming infants weeks and even months after their birth; or perhaps a separation or absent parent may be the reason that no name appears on a birth certificate. Regardless of the reason, this missing name scenario has the potential to cause problems as the child approaches adulthood.. Obtaining a passport and marriage certificate are the two most common situations in which having your name on your birth certificate is important. If you’re searching for answers on what to do if your birth certificate has no name on it, we’ve got some for you!


birth certificate name correction

Regardless the reason you were issued a birth certificate with no name on it, a legal name change is the most efficient and permanent method to fixing the issue.


My birth certificate has no name, what do I do?

Whether the name line on your birth certificate is blank or your name has been misspelled or is incorrect, the most thorough and practical solution when it comes to resolving the issue permanently is to go through a legal name change. Assuming you or the person you may be helping is over the age of one, changing your name will require a notarized affidavit for correction of name from one or both of your parents. Generally a simple process, you’ll want to first start by obtaining a certified copy of your original birth certificate. Next, you’ll need to file a petition for a legal name change with your local vital records office. Because name change laws and regulations can vary a great deal from state to state, check your state’s name change laws for petition information. The petition may take anywhere from a few days to a few months to process before you are assigned a court order and are granted a date to stand in front of a judge.When you appear before the judge, make sure you bring all your legal documents, including affidavits explaining why you desire a legal name change, with you. Once your petition is granted, the judge will provide you with legal documentation stating that you have been granted a legal name change. At this point, you’ll need to contact the vital records office that issued your birth certificate and inquire about the associated fees and forms you’ll need to complete a birth certificate name change.

What you’ll need regarding an affidavit for correction of name on a birth certificate.

An affidavit is a written statement signed under oath that can be used as evidence in a courtroom.  In this situation where there is no name on your birth certificate, you have most likely gone by a specific name your entire life. The affidavit from your parents will provide proof that you have gone by this name and have established an identity using it. In the event that your parents are not able to provide an affidavit, older relatives may provide one for you. If your parents or older relatives are unable to assist you with an affidavit, you can attempt to provide your personal affidavit. In this case, be sure to include public record documentation showing that you have established an identity using this name from birth.

Documents you might be able to use to establish proof that you have used this name in your identity include:

  • Census records
  • Hospital and vaccination records (generally pertaining to postnatal care)
  • School records from early years
  • Baptismal certificate


Do I have to get a legal name change if there is no name on my birth certificate?

The answer is no. You are not required to legally change your name to add it to your birth certificate, even in the event of marriage or the need to obtain a passport. However, the process to prove you are who you say you are… that you are the person who is referenced on a birth certificate issued without a first or last name (or both!) is similar. You will have to submit much of the same legal documentation you would have had to when seeking a court order.


It is safe to say that a majority of legal name change petitions are granted, especially in cases where you are attempting to correct the name (or lack thereof) on a birth certificate. As long as the petitioner is not attempting to impersonate anyone or attempting to change their name for fraudulent purposes, adding a name should be a breeze. Going through a legal name change might seem like a long and drawn out process, but in the end you will be able to use your corrected birth certificate for all matters of identification moving forward.


  1. My Birth certificate d per not have my 1st name on it and I am planning to get married soon. Will I have a problem using it to get married? I have tried to get it fixed but I’ve been getting the run around

    1. Hello Kareem. If your name on your birth certificate does not match your name on your other documents such as your social security card and driver’s license, it has the potential to cause problems in the future when you need your marriage license, passport or other documentation. It is possible you will need a legal directive to add your first name to the birth certificate. We suggest you contact the vital records agency that issued your certificate originally to determine the procedure for amending your birth certificate.

  2. I live in the state of Florida. My birth certificate and social security card were stolen. I was hospitalized (psych) for longer than 4 years. While i was in the hospital My state I.d expired. It has been expired since May 06, 2005. Because I have no way of identifying myself except for my expired I.d, I cannot get a birth certificate or social security card. Can anyone help me with any info on what to do about this situation. I’ve never commented on anything like this before and will check back to see if anyone answers. I don’t know what to do any more about my situation

    1. Hello Pam. We are sorry to hear about your predicament. You may want to contact the vital records office in the city/state where you were born to find out if they allow any alternative documents for identity purposes (ie: an expired ID in conjunction with a utility bill, a work/school ID, paystub, vehicle registration, court document, voter registration card, etc.) We hope you can find a solution so you can get your replacement documents.

  3. I live in New York. my birth certificate never had a name on it.
    Now i’d like to add my name because i want to have the freedom to make a passport, drivers license etc. etc.
    What do i need in order to make that happen?
    i once went into Manhattan for this but i lost the paper they gave me.
    I remember it said something about a student I.D. and a copy of my Social Security card, but I don’t remember what
    else, just that there were more things i required in order to send it in to get fixed.
    I’d really appreciate if you can help me out and tell me what i need so i can send my birth certificate in and get it fixed once
    and for all. Thank You!!

    1. Hello Rosie. New York City Vital Records issues certified copies of New York City birth certificates for events that occurred in the five (5) boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island) If you were born in NYC, you can get more information about amending your birth certificate by calling 311 or 212 NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) if you are calling from outside NYC. You can also email the Corrections and Amendments Unit at correctionsunit2@health.nyc.gov. For more information, you can click here to visit the NYC Health website

  4. Hi
    My birth. Certificate never had a name on it
    .I live in Ut and was born in AZ. I AM 50 YEARS OLD. How do i go about getting my name
    On my birth certificate so I can obtain an ID and get a job

    1. Hello Emily. Please click here to visit the Arizona Department of Health Services webpage for more information.> If you scroll about half way down the page, you will find a section called “Adding the Registrant’s Name (first, middle, or suffix) to the Birth Certificate” that will provide you with the information you need to proceed.

  5. Hi my name is ryan Llacer and i have a problem im from PH and i only have middle name i need to get driver licences please help me

    1. Hello Ryan. We suggest you contact the DMV to find out if they accept alternate form of identification for a driver’s license.

  6. My hubby was born in American Samoa. His birth certificate only has a first name on it. When he came to California when he was 7, his mother enrolled him in school using the stepdad’s last name. When my hubby was 18 he went with no paperwork to the Social Security office to request a new card with a different last name (his grandfather’s). He has since been going by the grandfather’s last name. We need to apply for a passport and pretty soon the “real ID’ program will be rolling out. What should we do? I don’t know if his mom ever legally changed his name to the stepdad’s last name but I highly doubt it.

    1. Hello Nikki. Thanks for reaching out with your question. We suggest your husband contact the American Samoa Government Department of Health for more information on the steps he will need to take to add a last name to his birth certificate. It is possible he will need to go through the court system to apply for a legal name change if that has not been done already. The contact information is: American Samoa Government Department of Health, Health Information Office, Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799
      Tel: (684) 633-1406. Best wishes.

  7. I was married before I found out that my birth certificate had the incorrect name on it. Am i legally married?

    1. Hello Lori. You are more than likely legally married but to avoid future complications you may want to pursue correcting the error on your birth certificate. Contact the vital record agency that issued your original birth certificate to determine their procedure for correcting/amending a birth certificate.

  8. I was born in California my birth certificate only has my mother’s maiden name on it .When I was 16 my father took me to get a social security card and I’ve been using his last name every since, even though his name is not on my birth certificate . Once I applied for a passport and was told there wasn’t enough info on my birth certificate to prove who I was without a first or middle name and especially with my last name being different from what’s on my birth certificate. I really need assistance in correcting this. I would like to be able to get a passport. What is the. process to getting my name legally on my birth certificate?

    1. Hello Marilyn, and thank you for your question. The process to legally change a name on a birth certificate can vary from state to state, so we recommend you contact the California state vital records office (https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHSI/Pages/Vital-Records-Registration-Branch.aspx) and request information on how to make the change you need. We hope this information is helpful in your journey to obtain a passport. Thank you.

  9. Hello i am from Florida my birth certificate has no name just my last name and my SS has my name and last name what can i do or where can i go ??? Plis help

    1. Hello Deborah. Thanks for reaching out with your question. We suggest you contact the vital records agency in Florida that issued your birth certificate to determine their process for amending a birth certificate to add your fist name.

  10. My both certificate dose not have any parents name on it so how do I go about finding out who they may be

    1. Hello Beatrice. Unfortunately we are unable to offer any suggestions based on the limited information in your post.

  11. Hello, my birth certificate is missing my first name. getting the run around from every direction to get fixed. born in Ky. 58 yrs. ago.
    have called them, but still no help. have hospital record with my full name on it at birth, ss card. etc. but know one will except that. any
    any suggestions would be helpful.

    1. Hello Sandra. Requirements for correcting/Amending a vital record can vary from vital records agency to Vital records agency. We suggest you contact the vital records agency that issued your birth certificate originally and inquire how you can go about amending/correcting your record.

  12. I am at a loss. My BC does not have my first/middle name,. Simply states Female and my maiden last name. I’ve exhausted all avenues and was told to petition for a name change. The issue is I am married. I am getting mixed information from the courts and from Vital Records. According to the courts, The name change petition is for my entire name, and is what my name will legally be. If I put my maiden last name, then that is what my name will become. According to Vital Records, I should be able to petition a name change to my maiden name, and still keep my married name. Either way whatever is on the petition is what will go on my BC. I am confused and frustrated.

    1. Hello Scarlett. We suggest you check with vital records to see if you can amend your birth certificate to include the name you have been legally using as your first name your whole life without having a court order. It may be a possibility since you more than likely have documentation proving that is the name you use…ie: driver’s license, social security card, etc.

  13. Blogging is not my day job definately. Im trying to promote my
    business by wanting to write about it. But crap is it ever
    difficult. I do admire your articles, and I had fashioned to
    comment to just
    give you kuddos on wonderful content and information.

  14. I was adopted in Richmond,va .I do not know my birth mother or fathers name. I do know the date of birth and it was a richmond, va hospital what must I do as I am in process of checking my family tree. .

    1. Hello Stanley. You may seek out some support groups for adoptees as they may have good suggestions next steps in your genealogy search.

  15. I am 44. I’m married, have. DL, SS card with my married name. My photocopy was altered by my grandmother (who named me when I was 8mo old). That was always enough. I’ve never needed my original birth certificate until applying for my passport. I was concerned when I received my original copy that my first and last name was blank. I’m just relieved the process of obtaining a correction is simple and quick.

  16. Birth certificate is name is missing at two name application letter letter Kaise likhe Ho batao

    1. Thank you for your post. If you are needing to request a change to an already-issued birth certificate, you will need to reach out to the vital record agency that issued the certificate originally to request such a change. Thank you.

  17. Well I never had a name on my birth certificate just my last name is that I got on my birth certificate.

    1. Hello Jose. in order to avoid complications in the future, you may want to consider adding your first name to your birth certificate. You can contact the vital records agency that issued it originally for more information on how to amend the record to include your full name.

  18. My parents are both dead, how can I get their name on my birth certificate?

    1. Hello Stacey. You may want to start by contacting the vital records agency in the area where you were born to find out their requirements for amending your birth certificate. From there, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

  19. hi, my baby birth in hiriyuru in chitrdurga. but name not mentioned in birth certificate so please how to get the name mentioned in the certificate.
    I have already going the Bangalore One but didn’t get mentioned in this place his tell to you are going this place from hiriyuru. please I have get solutions.

    1. Hello Nethra. You will need to contact the appropriate agency in chitrdurga that issues birth certificates for that region.

  20. Hi I’m Pamela Amacanim what should I do first to solve my problem because I can’t graduate senior high becasue my birth certicate has no name? Plss help me

    1. Hello Pamela. The process for amending/correcting a birth certificate can vary so you should contact the vital records agency that issued your birth certificate originally and request information about how to amend your birth certificate to include your name. If you are under the age of 18, it may be necessary for a parent or guardian to contact the vital record agency on your behalf.

  21. Hello My name is Danielle,
    So For the 1st 14yrs of my life I knew myself as a different name until I found out that person dosent exsist, as in I couldnt obtain a birth cert
    . So than I finally found my name and obtained my birth cert, So in the last 12mths Ive travelled to the hospital it says i was
    born in, and applied through FOI my birth details, in both names. They came back with nothing so I pushed ity through to the Comissioner of FOI
    and they than followed up, so forward now 10mths later, and Ive been told now that there is no records at so what ever, of both names ever been born at the
    hospital. So id like to chase the registery names on birth cert up, to see if they are real people and to question. Also when i was a child, This lady who im made to believe is my
    mother, had her medicare card and a pension health care card with my name on it as the one who does not exsist ever. Ive also been told in the last 6mths that I have 4medicare numbers,
    well how?

    1. Hello Danielle. You may want to consider speaking with a legal professional to get assistance sorting everything out.

Leave A Comment