certified birth certificates for children of immigrants

Vital Documents for Children of Immigrants

The US immigrant population, made up of a vast array of nationalities and cultures, is the perfect example of a melting pot. Whether adult immigrants are currently undergoing the process to become legal residents or obtain their citizenship, the children of immigrants do not fall under the same set of citizenship regulations as their parents. Known as Birthright Citizenship, kids born in the USA to foreign parents are considered American citizens based on the rights given the people in the 14th amendment

of the U.S. Constitution: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside.” When it comes to immigrant children vs. their adult family members, naturalization is not required for children whereas their foreign born parents are required to fulfill requirements established by Congress.

Do children of immigrants require special vital documents to prove citizenship?

If you’re wondering whether your American born son or daughter needs any additional immigration documentation or paperwork to prove their nationality, the answer is no. Children born in the USA to foreign parents are automatically granted citizenship. This means that the children of immigrants will be issued birth certificates by the issuing vital records office in the city or state in which they were born. In this day and age, parents of newborns no longer automatically receive a birth certificate during their stay at the hospital. While some hospitals or birthing centers may provide expectant parents with an order form for their child’s birth certificate through their nearest vital records office, it is then up to the parents to obtain the birth certificates on their own.

Does the immigration status of a parent affect the child’s status, or vice versa?

While U.S.-born children of immigrants are granted automatic citizenship in the U.S., this status does not impact or change the status of their parents’ naturalization process. Regardless of an immigrant’s documented status, whether they are legal residents or on their way to becoming citizens, giving birth to a child on U.S. soil will not affect their parent’s standing with the U.S. government. The same is true for the status of a child born in the U.S.; regardless of the parent’s immigration status, they are still considered American citizens at birth.

Where can I get a certified copy of my child’s birth certificate?

Your nationality, your age and your immigration status do not make a difference in your need for a replacement birth certificate or certified copy of any vital document, as it’s a fairly common occurrence. Chalk it up to the action-packed lifestyle of parenthood, but sometimes vital records are ruined accidentally or tucked away in a place you thought they’d be safe. Having a few copies on hand is never a bad idea for a variety of reasons. By contacting the vital records office in where your child was born, or by ordering online at VitalChek.com, you’ll be able to replace or order more copies with expedited options. If you’ve lost a birth certificate outright, here are a few important things you need to know in order to order a new certified copy.

How do I get my birth certificate from another country?

If you’re an immigrant or foreign national attempting to obtain certified copies of your birth records, you will need to contact the vital records or official birth document branch of your nation’s government to start the process. The U.S. government does not have authority to issue vital records from  other nations, so your journey to obtaining those certified documents will need to start in the city and country in which you were born.
No matter the reason, having spare certified copies of birth records will always come in handy. Regardless of whether  if it’s for the U.S.-born child of an immigrant or the immigrant parents themselves, having vital documents at the ready for medical, educational or other identification purposes will hopefully save you a headache down the road.


Leave A Comment