Required Documents for College Enrollment & Registration

Graduating high school and starting freshman year of college is such an exciting time for young adults. They get a fresh start, new friends, a chance to move away, and a chance to figure out who they want to be. Before a new college student can pack up and head out to their new alma mater they must make sure they have provided the school with the proper vital records. Not sure what documents are required for college enrollment? Here are a few documents you will need to have ready.

  • Copy of a photo identification such as a driver’s license
  • Copy of your social security card
  • Official high school transcript
  • SAT or other college approved test scores
  • Medical records including immunization records

Now that you know which documents are most commonly required by colleges and universities, you should know how to obtain these vital records.

  • A Photo ID – Many times a photo id must be government certified, such as a driver’s license or a passport book/card. However if these are not accessible, some schools may accept a high school photo ID as valid proof of identity. Be sure to call your new college so you are aware of their policy. Photo ID is normally required for first day registration.
  • A Social Security Card – If you do not have a social security card, you will have to obtain a replacement from your local area social security office. A social security card number or copy may be required for application and or registration.
  • Transcripts – Contact your high school to see if they will either send your transcripts directly to your college or give you a copy to send.
  • Test Scores – Contact the organization who administers the official test you took for meet college admission requirements. Upon creating a login profile, you should be able to send your test scores via the web to your college. If you need the scores rush sent you may need to pay an additional fee. This is normally required with a college application.
  • Medical Records – First contact your new college to see if they require any school specific forms that your doctor may need to fill out and send. Then, go to your local doctor and request a copy of your medical records and immunization records. You can send these to your college via mail, email, fax, or in person.

Now that you know what documents you will need and how to get them, you should be ready to start packing your bags! For any help obtaining any other vital records such as a birth certificate, you can contact VitalChek. We are a leading provider of government-issued vital records.


  1. Pingback: 5 Moving Tips for Graduates - TheUrbanRealist

Leave A Comment