back to school

Frequently Required Documents to Enroll Your Child At A New School

Enrolling your child in school requires some planning ahead to make sure you have the right vital records prepared. The required documents to enroll your child in a new school may vary depending on the school itself, whether it is public or private, and whether this is the first time school enrollment for a child or a transfer. However, there are a few common documents that will be required regardless that you can have ready to make the enrollment process easier for both you and your child.

Public schools often require quite a few documents to enroll in the district area school. You may be asked to complete an enrollment application to see which district school your child should be enrolled. You will also be expected to provide proof of your child’s age and identity, proof of residency, immunization records and other medical records, and or a portfolio showcasing your child’s skills. Charter schools will often require all of the above, specifically the portfolio. The most strict schools to enroll in are private school that often require an application, teacher recommendations, a formal placement assessment, and sometimes even an in person interview. As a general rule of thumb, you should have the following commonly required documents ready so you can enroll your child in school:

  • A birth certificate
  • Proof of guardianship and or custody
  • Proof of residency
  • Record of immunizations
  • Common application
  • Emergency contact forms

Enrolling your child in a new school through a transfer enrollment will often require all of the above documents AND/OR the below documents:

  • Former school records
  • IEP records
  • Teacher recommendations

It is important to reach out to the new school you wish to enroll your child in to find out the specific documents required. To get ahead of the game, you can obtain your child’s birth certificate from VitalChek to expedite the enrollment process. Learn more about how you can obtain government certified vital records visit


Leave A Comment