Acceptable Documents to Verify Citizenship

You may be familiar with the box you have to check off on your I-9 forms that state you are a United States citizen and are legally able to be employed. Did you also know that most employers will require two forms of citizenship and identification on your first day? Acceptable documents to verify citizenship must be government certified, so an old work or school photo ID is not acceptable, and neither are copies of official documents. Whether you were born in the United States, are a citizen born outside of the United States, or are a naturalized citizen, if you are looking for a new job, be sure you have acceptable documents to verify your citizenship.

The easiest form of citizenship you can provide an employer with is a United States passport, as this will act as a proof of citizenship and also proof of identity. Other acceptable documents to verify citizenship are:

A citizen born in the United States – If you do not have a passport, you can provide an official birth certificate, which can be ordered online from a vital records provider. You will also be required to show a photo ID to prove identity. A license, military card, or personal identification card is acceptable.

A citizen born outside of the United States – If you are the biological child of United States citizen born outside of the United States you will have to provide multiple documents as verification of your citizenship. These documents include your official Consular Report of Birth Abroad and or an FS-240 if you are currently living outside of the country. If you already live inside of the United States you must apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, and this can be presented to your employer along with a photo ID.

A naturalized citizen within the United States – You must provide an original Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship. Remember to bring a photo ID as well. If you do not currently have either of these documents in their original state, you can apply for a replacement via the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services department with the N-565 form here.

Being required to prove your citizenship is not only part of tax records but it also helps ensure your workplace safety as employers must comply with rules and regulations. If you need any help obtaining vital records to act as your documents to verify citizenship, order online with VitalChek. We are a leading government-issued vital records company that can help you quick obtain your personal vital records.


Leave A Comment